January 6, 2009

Los Angeles, California: Restaurante Monte Alban; restaurant review

Restaurante Monte Alban  

11929 Santa Monica Blvd./Brockton, nr. Bundy, in shopping strip, (310) 444-7736. B-L-D daily; $.

Named for a ruins outside Oaxaca, Mexico, this cozy cafe is inside a shuttered, cave-like space decorated with mural-painted walls, paver-tile floors, Oaxacan woven tablecloths, and heavy carved-wood chairs. The authentic regional dishes of Oaxaca include specialties such as taco de barbacoa (handmade corn tortilla filled with goat stew); spectacular moles: green, red, and the supreme black; fabulous tortilla soup; and rice nicuatole (corn pudding). Favorite items at Restaurante Monte Alban are the black mole tamale wrapped in a banana leaf, baked talapia, pork with red mole, and chile relleno de piccadillo.

2 comments:

  1. Hi again, I thought I would take a mo' to check out your info. I enjoy the way you put up some reviews of places to eat. Some may miss these gems without recommendations, eh? Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only two "authentic" places I've found in SC, so I can hardly wait to try out my old L.A. haunts. I'll definitely add this one to my list -- I trust y'all, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts