April 14, 2009

America’s Best Zoos



According to the authors of America’s Best Zoos: A Travel Guide for Fans and Families, all zoos are not alike. “Each is different and some are unique,” they say.

I’ve always been fond of zoos and often visit a local zoo when I travel. This was especially fun when my children were younger, but now I enjoy the opportunity a zoo visit provides to interact with locals. Visiting a zoo can be especially interesting in a foreign country (though this book doesn’t cover foreign zoos). For domestic trips, why not plan in a visit to America’s first zoo in Philadelphia, or a visit to the zoo in New York City’s Central Park or to the one by Waikiki Beach in Hawaii? This book is a great reference, with lots of detail, and reading up on the zoo you plan to visit assures you won’t miss any of the most noteworthy exhibits. Why, you might even learn something about your own local zoo!


More animal attractions

More ideas for travel adventures in California and the U.S. and around the world.

1 comment:

  1. I used to like zoos too and fortunately still did when my son was young. But now, having travled to Africa and Alaska and the Outback of Australia and the Galapagos and Yellowstone and...., where wildlife is wild, zoos kind of bother me. Intellectually, I know that the environments are better than the used to be and that without zoos' breeding programs, many species that are atill hanging on would be extinct. But still...

    So I guess I won't be rushing out to buy this book.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts