October 24, 2009

San Miguel de Allende, Mexico: Bugambilia; restaurant review

Bugambilia 

Hidalgo 42, Centro, 415-152-0127. Open daily.

Established in 1945, Bugambilia is the town’s first, and oldest, restaurant. And it is one of the few that still serves authentic Mexican dishes. I enjoyed lunch here last week in an atmospheric central courtyard dining area with heavy furniture and colorful flowers galore. A delicious tortilla soup (sopa Azteca) got my taste buds ready for a spectacular seasonal dish, Chiles en Nogada--a poblano chile filled with a beef-nut-almond mix and topped with a creamy sauce sprinkled with pomegranate seeds. It features the colors of the Mexican flag and is fabuloso. I'd make the trip again just to eat this dish one more time. All this, and live music nightly. Ole!


Get the recipe.

Get another version of the recipe.

Get a vegetarian version of the recipe.


More things to do in San Miguel de Allende.


6 comments:

  1. Great Carole, one of our favorite restaurant in SMA. Sally used to live here many years ago and we celebrated my birthday at Bugambilia a few years back.

    Glad to hear it is still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was with Carole and it was an excellent dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally might want to try making the Chiles en Nogada. I'm thinking of making a vegetarian version for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the classic San Miguel restaurants where you can sample the old recipes. Love the patio courtyard!

    - Annie (http://san-miguel-house-rentals.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just had dinner there tonight - the Chiles en Nogada was as amazing as I had been told.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lee, I am so envious! I have been thinking about that dish ever since my visit and have been trying, without luck, to find a restaurant in the San Francisco area that makes it.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts