April 1, 2011

5 things I learned in Fiji

5 things I learned in Fiji


1. That it is like Hawaii about 50 years ago. No building is higher than a palm tree, and no road is wider than two lanes.

2. That I could survive free from regulation. My watch band broke and dropped to the floor shortly after I arrived in Fiji, a foreshadowing of a freedom from time that I quickly learned to enjoy. In fact, I rarely referred to my watch (which I kept in my handbag) for the rest of the trip, the one notable exception being when I wanted to be absolutely sure I wasn’t late for my bobo massage.
 

casting off from Castaway Island Resort in Fiji
casting off from Castaway Island Resort in Fiji


3. That it would be a huge mistake not to spend some time at a resort on one of the low-key private islands. My bra broke (my goodness, what is next?) beyond repair almost immediately when I waded ashore at Castaway Island. I didn’t have another, and I didn’t miss it. I truly did not want to leave that paradise when it was time to go.

4. That a sarong—called a sulu in Fiji--can cover many things. The uses are countless, but three good ones are: as a skirt to cover shorts when visiting a village; as a swimsuit cover-up when walking around the pool; and as a lovely light-weight shawl in the evening.

5. That the population is 56.8% indigenous Fijians who live in villages. And almost everyone in a village is related. Indo-Fijians, who were brought from India as indentured servants and live in settlements, comprise another 37.5%. So I shouldn’t have been surprised to enjoy meals that included both delicious Fijian specialties like kokoda (raw fish marinated in lime juice and fresh coconut milk), as well as some of the best Indian cuisine ever.



More things to do on Viti Levu in Fiji.

image c2011 Carole Terwilliger Meyers (depicts Castaway Island Resort)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts