April 26, 2012

Jerusalem, Israel: Visit Jerusalem's Nachlaot neighborhood

Visit Jerusalem's Nachlaot neighborhood


Located near the Mahane Yehuda market and situated back from the main street, the very quiet Nachlaot residential area originated in the 1870s. It was one of the first neighborhoods outside the Old City walls. Plaques bearing photographs of former residents are attached to many still-standing original houses and compounds. Today, it is a gentrified home to many artists and musicians.

Nachlaot neighborhood of Jerusalem in Israel
Nachlaot neighborhood of Jerusalem in Israel




image c2012 Carole Terwilliger Meyers

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this... I just came back from Jerusalem and met someone who's grandparents are on one of the plaques... I asked what the neighborhood was called, but not having my notebook, I couldn't remember it... a quick online search brought me to your post, and my question answered! Now I can confidently put "Nachlaot" in my journal!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts