September 5, 2014

Introduction to Little Italy neighborhood in San Diego, California; things to do + hotel review + restaurant reviews

Introduction to Little Italy neighborhood in San Diego

Little Italy 

stretches along India Street, between Cedar and Fir, at the northern edge of downtown.

neon street sign in Little Italy, San Diego, California
neon street sign in Little Italy, San Diego, California


Anchored by an old-time arched neon street sign, this quaint and lively neighborhood is filled with outdoor cafes, restaurants, pubs, art galleries, and shops.

boutique in cottage in Little Italy, San Diego, California
boutique in cottage in Little Italy, San Diego, California

Boutiques are scattered along India Street, and several colorful cottages on Fir Street have been converted into browse-worthy boutiques.     


Kettner Art & Design District  

Runs along Kettner St.  This area is home to retail shops and art galleries that feature upscale home furnishings and fashion accessories.  Restaurants and antiques stores are also found here.  My favorite don't-miss is:

Antiques on Kettner in Little Italy, San Diego, California
Antiques on Kettner in Little Italy, San Diego, California

Antiques on Kettner  CLOSED  2400 Kettner St., #106, (619) 234-3332.  Daily 10am-6pm.  Here you'll find a nicely curated collection of art, jewelry, pottery, metal, glass, and more.  And the fact that this shop is on the airport descent route adds some excitement to browsing.


La Pensione Hotel  

606 W. Date St./India, (800) 232-4683, (619) 236-8000.  68 rooms.  Fitness room.  No breakfast.  Underground parking is limited; $15.  Located in the heart of the Little Italy neighborhood, this boutique hotel offers stylish clean-lined contemporary rooms colored in cool greys and whites.

bed in La Pensione Hotel in Little Italy, San Diego, California
bed in La Pensione Hotel in Little Italy, San Diego, California

Platform beds feature ostrich-leather headboards and are made up with luxurious 300-thread-count white bedding with a duvet.  Some rooms have a balcony; all have a desks, rich wool carpeting, a flat-screen TV, good lighting, a mini fridge with complimentary cold bottled water, and a shower with rain head tiled either in black or white Carrera.  I could hear the digitized chimes from a nearby church, and the Mercato Farmers Market sets up a block away on Saturday mornings.  Because of its central location, you can use buses and trolleys to get around. 

Independently operated on-site restaurants include Caffe Italia--an espresso bar and café featuring Lavazza coffee beans imported from Italy and offering a selection of salads, panini sandwiches at lunch--and Na Pizza, San Diego’s first green-certified pizzeria.


Bencotto Italian Kitchen  

750 W. Fir St., in Q building, (619) 450-4786.  L-D Tu-Sun, also M in summer.  Pasta is made fresh daily here, so it makes sense that one of the specialties is Pasta Your Way--you choose the sauce and the pasta.

pasta with salsiccia sauce at Bencotto Italian Kitchen in Little Italy, San Diego, California
pasta with salsiccia sauce at Bencotto Italian Kitchen
in Little Italy, San Diego, California

I selected my favorite salsiccia sauce—a spicy sausage tomato sauce—topping wide hand-cut pappardelle noodles made with eggs and semolina flour.  The portion was large and delicious.

Cesare salad at Bencotto Italian Kitchen in Little Italy, San Diego, California
Cesare salad at Bencotto Italian Kitchen in Little Italy, San Diego, California

This combined with a Cesar salad topped with a slab of parmigano and I was set.  Next time I plan to try the gnocco fritto (fried bread dough) and the gnocchi ripieni (potato dumplings filled with gorgonzola) topped with pesto sauce.  The contemporary industrial space features a high ceiling, concrete floors, and floor-to-ceiling windows inside, as well as sidewalk-side tables outside.  Diners are justly happy, and the noise level is high.


Trattoria Fantastica  

1735 India St., (619) 234-1735.  B-L-D daily; $.  No reservations.

Trattoria Fantastica in Little Italy, San Diego, California
Trattoria Fantastica in Little Italy, San Diego, California

This cozy haven features a sidewalk-side patio dining in front.  Old Dean Martin songs like “Papa Loves Mamo” play in the background, and the waiters sometimes sing along.  Sicilian food and wood-fired pizzas are menu specialties.  Breakfast offerings include an Egg Panini on a croissant (like an omelette in a croissant), Uova Due (two eggs), and an a la carte croissant or bagel.  Dinner favorites include Gnocchi alla Florentine, Gamberi alla Fantastica (shrimp in a lemon sauce), and Imbottiti (a savory eggplant dish).



More things to do in San Diego.

More information about San Diego.

Things to do in nearby La Jolla.

More ideas for exploring the U.S.


images ©2014 Carole Terwilliger Meyers

26 comments:

  1. I had no idea there was a Little Italy in San Diego, looks like a fun place to explore and eat of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From delicious-looking salsiccia sauce to fine linens, Little Italy in San Diego looks like a place to see in San Diego. I missed it last time but would love to return some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, is 3:15 a.m. in Munich, Germany and now I'm starving. We'll have to check out Little Italy after we've had our fill of Mexican food on our next visit to San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew San Diego had a Little Italy! Love the kitschy trattoria atmosphere with singing waiters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does look like a great place to explore and encounter a taste and touch and sight of Italy in America :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great spot to spend some time exploring. I'd be happy to try that gnocchi ripeni with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute little neighborhood! I had no idea that San Diego had a little Italy either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having been in Little Italy in NY last weekend, this one looks absolutely modern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't appreciated that San Diego had a little Italy either - good to know as I plan to visit friends there in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like an interesting place. I get to San Diego once every couple years or so and on my next trip I'll definitely go there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a pretty great neighbourhood. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You tipped me off to Kauai and have done it again for San Diego - I am heading there in December and will make this 'hood a must-see!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went to Little Italy in San Diego on my last visit and agree with you that it is amazing. Every restaurant I went to had incredible food.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like an interesting place to visit. Love the looks of that Cesare salad, will have to try that myself.
    Lenie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't been to San Diego for several years but I always enjoyed my visits to the city. Thanks for showing another interesting side to San Diego as well as the delectable food photos! My mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like a fun place to explore. I'm hoping to get to San Diego soon. I'll remember this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We love San Diego and find so many new things to see and do each time. That grey wall with the design is gorgeous and I'm just dying to run my hand of that ostrich leather headboard. Ok, the food photos are scrumptious too - did I tell you about my diet? Don't ask.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I spent six weeks in San Diego a long time ago and never realized it had a Little Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's been awhile since my last trip to San Diego. Truthfully, I haven't appreciate this area to its full potential. I will try to correct that the next time I visit. It does look like fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks really an amazing place to visit. I have never tried salsiccia sauce, so I will try this atleast here. I really liked all the pictures. It seems so fun in San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've visited San Diego but not Little Italy. It looks like a fun place. The colorful shops are inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like a great place to explore, and some interesting food to try!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've visited San Diego so many times, but never Little Italy. All of your photos have me tempted to visit now. I'm hungry after seeing that pasta dish too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Little Italy looks like a great place to stay and eat. I missed it on our visit to San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would definitely like to add little Italy to my things to do list in san diego.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I invite you to make a link from your article to mine. :)

      Delete

Popular Posts