December 3, 2014

Introduction to Iceland

A “land of fire and ice,” Iceland was the last country in Europe to be settled--by Norwegians in the area of Reykjavik in 874 (Celtic settlers from Ireland and Scotland arrived later).  It is also officially the youngest country in the world.  The Icelandic language dates back to Vikings.  Independence from Denmark came in 1944. 


Iceland's Northeast
Iceland's Northeast


Though much of its terrain is desolate and with few trees, this volcanic island is surprisingly diverse, with moss-covered lava fields, a gigantic glacier, and a few snow-covered peaks.


Iceland's Bardarbunga volcano eruption 2014
Iceland's Bardarbunga volcano eruption 2014


Iceland's many volcanoes remain very active.  Chaos ensued a few years ago when a volatile volcano literally blew its top, and the resulting air debris upset European air travel.  The notorious volcanoes are in the center of the island, basically in the middle of nowhere, and the locals are just fine with that.

Most of the country’s 320,000 people live along the 850-mile-long Ring Road/Route 1 around the perimeter.  The interior is uninhabited, and there are no roads through it.  Reykjavik is home to 60% of the people.  Almost 95% of homes have geo-thermal power, and the many thermal pools are popular places for people to socialize. 

Iceland elected the world’s first female president in 1980, had the first openly gay prime minister (gay marriage is allowed), and has almost 40 publishing houses.   

My first impressions of the country were of flat land, a faint odor of sulphur, and grey skies.  That was later tempered by driving through the more mountainous terrain of the northeast and experiencing there some crisp air and blue skies.  I noticed that they drive on the right and have many sensible round-abouts.  I gathered from a cab driver that they aren’t terribly fond of Norwegians, whom he described as speaking “like they have a potato in the throat.”

Among the many fascinating facts about Iceland is that more than 90,000 citizens of the 320,000 population own firearms, which are mostly rifles and shotguns used for hunting.  Murders average only two per year, and prison capacity is 150 prisoners.  When that limit is reached, overflow prisoners are allowed to go about their regular lives waiting for their turn for punishment. 

And even though Iceland is at the top of the world near the Arctic Circle, winter temperatures can be warmer than New York, London, or Paris.  In summer, you can get away with wearing just a light sweater weather.  And, blessedly, there are no ticks or mosquitoes. 




More travel information about Iceland.

Travel articles to inspire and help you plan some spectacular local and foreign getaways.

images ©2014 Carole Terwilliger Meyers

15 comments:

  1. I grew up in Canada's north so am usually drawn to destinations in the southern ( and warmer) parts of the world but I've been fascinated by Iceland ever since I watched HBO's Game of Thrones. Now I hope to get there one day and see the onsite filming locations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many years ago I went on a walking tour in central Iceland. I have never been anywhere so isolated in my life - we didn't see anyone else for days on end. Although places like Reykjavik must have changed out of all recognition since then it sounds as if the interior is still just as unspoilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe that is true. I will be blogging about the NE soon, which is sparsely populated and well worth a visit.

      Delete
  3. We spent three days in Iceland" Reykjavik, Isofjodur, and Akureyri. We are both lucky to have set foot on this unique landscape!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing, I would love to travel and discover some of the natural landscapes of this area, I'm sure perfect for photography

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen so many great posts of Iceland lately that it is on my "to see" list. I am amazed at the temperatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather was really nice when I was there in September.

      Delete
  6. I loved how the Icelandic people peacefully transformed their banking system a few years ago after economic collapse. We could learn a thing or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but this does make it a very expensive country to visit. Icelanders go to NYC to shop for bargains.

      Delete
  7. That's amazing that the winter temperatures can be warmer than New York but I'm sitting in my house today and the temperature outside is absolutely frigid! Maybe I should visit Iceland for some warmth:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rally want to visit Iceland, and now that we know there are no mosquitos... even more so!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Iceland fascinates me. I would like to visit one day. I knew some of the facts you listed, but not all. Your post has increased my desire to see this place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always pictured Iceland as extremely C-O-L-D but your informative post and photos have changed my mind! It sounds like a fascinating place to visit and learn about the culture and a country that we need to add to our ever-expanding list of places to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just remember that New York, London, or Paris can get very cold in winter, and so can Iceland! Bundle up!

      Delete

Popular Posts